Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Our Last Day at the Orphanage

Jambo Mzungus!

God has been doing some incredible things through our team in Uganda.  Every day we are reminded of God's glory and of our responsibility as Christians to spread the Word to all corners of the earth.  I've had such an amazing experience in Uganda, and I wish I could tell you all about everything we've done here but that would be far too long of a blog to read! So i'll just tell you what we've done today and the awesome things that God has done today.

This morning after we woke up and had breakfast, we loaded up the bus and headed to Bukelaba for the last time during our stay.  We arrived at the orphanage today to finish the work we had started on Saturday.  As we arrived at the orphanage, the schools were in session having just started back from holiday.  So we begin working on the the first coat (well, really the 2nd coat) of paint on the kitchen area.  As we finished that coat, the children were let out for a short break.  We had to wait for the paint to dry before we could apply the last coat to the building, so what better way to waste time than to play with the children at the orphanage! When classes let out, I started searching for my little friend Joseph.  As I was searching I feel a little tug on my hand and look down to find Joseph right there waiting for me to pick him up.  I was so glad that I got to hang out with him while we were waiting on the paint to dry. This little boy will always hold a special place in my heart. I wish I could sneak him away, pack him in my suitcase and take him back to the States. It was difficult to say goodbye to him when we left today, but there was a stirring in my spirit that i know i will see him again one day.

After we finished painting, we went to lunch at the Bukaleba Guest House.  After the delicious meal we have named "Ugandalya," Nelson led us on a hike through the land owned by Arise Africa.  The view of Lake Victoria from the Guest House in amazing!  After the long, hot, sweat  hike to the top of the mountain we turned around to see the vastness of Lake Victoria and the beautiful country of Uganda.  It was like we were looking at a living piece of art.  It was such an incredible view, truly breathtaking! (well, at least for me because i had left my breath somewhere at the beginning of the hike through the corn fields).   I finally caught my breath at the top of the mountain while we stood there and took in the beauty of God's creation. After a few minutes we hiked back down and sat outside in the shade drinking ice cold water.

After relaxing and enjoying being on "African time" (which for those of you who know is a lot worse than Phi Chi time believe it or not!), we went to evangelize in the village.  Chris, Michael, and I were teamed up along with our translator Pastor Christopher and Benson, the best cook on the continent of Africa and only 18 years old.  We were blessed enough to have the opportunity to lead about fifteen people to the Lord, including saving a Muslim man and converting him to Christianity and praying for a widow who accepted Christ!  It's amazing how hospitable these people are.  They stop everything they're doing to get us chairs and listen to what we have to say.  As incredible as it is, it almost shames me that we are not the same in America when people go to evangelize.

After evangelizing we said our goodbyes to Pastor Christopher and another translator - Job. We headed back to Jinja.  For dinner we enjoyed an African style fajita burrito and rice and avocados.  God is doing amazing things here and I will truly have left a part of my heart in Uganda when it comes time to head back home.  Every day we are presented with opportunities to share the love of Christ and to serve our Lord in Uganda.  Please continue to pray for strength and rest as we continue our mission.  Tomorrow we start going to share the Word at schools and ask that you pray for us as we start the visitations tomorrow. That's all I have for now, so in the words of the Ugandans, Wedeba!!



Thomas Reed
(Phi Kappa Chi, Alpha Sigma Pledge Class, Spring 2007)

No comments:

Post a Comment