This morning we woke up and as we were eating breakfast Godfrey arrived back from America. Godfrey encouraged us with what a positive influence we are having during our stay here. He ended his talk with us by teaching us an encouraging phrase, you may know it...Hakuna Matata. As Lion King had already taught us, Godfrey let us know it means no worries. But I will come back to that phrase at the end.
After breakfast we went to the school to continue painting. The weather was wonderful which made for a relaxing morning of work and fellowship. Addison and I at one point decided to walk around the facility. We walked through what will eventually be the dormitories for the girls and boys of the school. It has been really helpful to see the vision of this school in person. After lunch we got to go visit the orphanage were around 50 children are currently living. We were given a tour of the building. We were being shown around and as we turned a corner, there were all the of the orphanage, singing. I had such a mixture of feelings that I had to hold back myself from getting too emotional. We got to play with the children for about hour. The children radiate joy and I think the whole Phi Chi team went away grateful for being reminded of what true happiness and joy is from our interaction with the kids. As I put down the child that had been resting his head on my chest and walked away I turned around one last time to look at all the kids waving goodbye. I think why this impacted me so much was as a group, Phi Kappa Chi works to raise money for our philanthropy every year. The difference now is that I've met the faces that our money directly helps and it greatly effects their daily lives. I could rant about how much I loved those kids for a long time but I will move on!
![]() |
| Phi Kappa Chi Philanthropy Team at the orphanage |
Hakuna Matata, it means no worries. The people here have more difficulties in their lives than I could ever imagine but they do not allow this to stop them from being joyful. They are joyful and without worries under all circumstances. We could all learn from these people and there way of life. These orphans, these people, this country is changing me each day. I'm enjoying every moment and can't wait to see what God has in store for us in the days to come.
IHS,
Sterling
(Phi Kappa Chi, Alpha Sigma Pledge Class, Spring 2008)

No comments:
Post a Comment